Using English Wiktionary XML Dump dated Feb 4th 2009
Using WordNet 3.0
Searching over 243k words
Comments? Suggestions? Hate mail?
Feedback of any sort? Freelance or contract work?
abdullah.a _AT_ gmail
Shahi is a visual dictionary that combines Wiktionary content with Flickr images, and more!
- In scientific usage, a multicellular organism that is usually mobile, whose cells are not encased in a rigid cell wall (distinguishing it from plants and fungi) and which derives energy solely from the consumption of other organisms (distinguishing it from plants).
- A cat is an animal, not a plant.
- Humans are also animals, under the scientific definition, as we are not plants.
- In non-scientific usage, any member of the kingdom Animalia other than a human being.
- In non-scientific usage, any land-living vertebrate (i.e. not birds, fishes, insects etc)
- A person who behaves wildly.
- My students are animals.
- Of or relating to animals.
- animal instincts
- Raw, base, unhindered by social codes.
- animal passions
- Pertaining to the spirit or soul; relating to sensation or innervation.
- 2003: To explain what activated the flesh, ‘animal spirits’ were posited, superfine fluids which shuttled between the mind and the vitals, conveying messages and motion. — Roy Porter, Flesh in the Age of Reason (Penguin 2004, p. 47)