Using English Wiktionary XML Dump dated Feb 4th 2009
Using WordNet 3.0
Searching over 243k words
Comments? Suggestions? Hate mail?
Feedback of any sort? Freelance or contract work?
abdullah.a _AT_ gmail
Shahi is a visual dictionary that combines Wiktionary content with Flickr images, and more!
- That part of a country which fronts or faces another country or an unsettled region; the marches; the border, confine, or extreme part of a country, bordering on another country; the border of the settled and cultivated part of a country; as, the frontier of civilization.
- 1940 "The frontier was not a line, but a district where thieving Scot and thieving Englishman had sufficient liberty for roving forays." W K Hancock. Survey of Commenwealth affairs Vol II part I p.3.
- 1979 "Unlike a boundary, which evokes the image of a line on a map and demarcates spheres of political control, the frontier is an area where colonisation is taking place....no authority is recognised as legitimate by all parties or is able to excersise undisputed control over the area." The shaping of South African Society, 1652 - 1820. Eds. Richard Elphic and Hermann Guilomee. Longman p. 297.
- Lying on the exterior part; bordering; conterminous.
- a frontier town
- Of or relating to a frontier.